Modernising Western Australia’s Planning System
In November 2017 the Minister for Planning, the Hon Rita Saffioti MLA announced a review of the Western Australian planning system, to be led by the Independent Reviewer, Evan Jones.
The review will examine the following key areas:
- making strategic planning the cornerstone of all land use planning decisions;
- opening up the planning system so that it is understandable to all;
- clarifying State and local planning roles by setting clear responsibilities and functions of the WAPC and the department in conjunction with other State departments and agencies, and local government;
- responding to community concerns about the transparency and accountability of Development Assessment Panels;
- formally recognising the need for community participation;
- creating more certainty for industry by cutting red tape and by clearly defining development assessment pathways;
- refinement of the development contribution scheme;
- how best to link planning and infrastructure delivery for growth and move to a sustainable settlement pattern; and
- how the planning system should adapt to new technology.
A Background Paper for the review is available for download above.
A Green Paper will be released in March 2018 to assist with public consultation and further details including stakeholder workshops will be available on this website.
If you would like to speak to the review team, please email us at email@example.com